10 Things You Should Know About the American Stock Exchange
10 INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT THE AMERICAN STOCK EXCHANGE
1. The exchange is commonly known as NYSE Amex.
2. Located in New York, the American Stock Exchange is owned and operated by NYSE Euronext (NYX), the world’s leading and most diverse exchange group.
3. The NYSE Euronext acquired the AMEX on October 1, 2008 to become the third-largest U.S. options marketplace.
4. The AMEX handles nearly 5% of all securities traded in the U.S.
5. It started its operations in the early 19th century to nurture the financial needs of the new manufacturing companies that were ineligible to be listed on the registered stock exchanges. Trading took place out in the street by brokers called the curbstone brokers.
6. The original crude and unnamed version of the AMEX was later on modified and renamed as the New York Curb Market Agency in 1908, the New York Curb Market in 1911, the New York Curb Exchange in 1929 and finally, the American Stock Exchange in 1953.
7. Under NYSE Euronext, the AMEX equities were branded firstly as “NYSE Alternext US” and then rebranded as NYSE Amex Equities.
8. The trading hours at the American Stock Exchange are from Monday through Friday between 9:30 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. with the exception of the declared holidays.
9. On June 2, 1978, it was designated as a National Historic Landmark and added to the National Register of Historic Places.
10. The movement of the AMEX equities market is determined by the Amex Composite Index.